MMI Hotel Group
The renovation project involved only the original wing of the hotel, which first opened for business as a dance club in 1935. The intriguing part of this project was the diligence involved in saving as much of the original Mediterranean architectural theme as possible for the State and National Historic Registers. RAC removed virtually all of the interior components of the original structure and began with a new floor plan. The number of guest rooms was reduced from 70 to 57 larger rooms with expanded bathrooms. The new 57 rooms include 22 ocean front rooms, 14 ocean view rooms and 21 resort rooms. The eight Cabana rooms on the first floor have private patios and direct oceanfront access. A major challenge was to bring the hotel into compliance with the ADA. A new elevator was added and changes in elevations on the first floor eliminated. The final remodel carefully preserves the resorts historic features. The Oleander House was constructed on the existing tennis court site. This 18-room, 2-story villa was built to match the original structure.