State of Mississippi, Bureau of Building, Grounds and Real Property Management
Rehabilitating the oldest building on a Mississippi University campus was a monumental and painstaking task. The 3-story building was literally disassembled, refurbished and then put back together again. Originally constructed in 1846, the building was updated to include and meet all current code requirements while utilizing the existing materials to maintain the building’s historical integrity. Construction scheduling remained flexible to allow for factors such as recovery of historical artifacts located in cornerstones and matching bricks that were handmade on site over 150 years ago. The majority of the existing wood trim was removed, refinished, and re-installed and exterior windows were retrofitted with new glazing only for glass that was broken. Some existing glazing remains. This building houses the Chancellor’s Offices. This project won a Mississippi Associated Builders and Contractors Merit Award for Commercial Construction between $5-15 million.