US Federal Courthouse
This project consists of an eight-story tower and the historic preservation of a 1923, two story brick building which was the former Gulfport High School. The project contains 20,525 gross square meters and houses the U.S. District, Magistrate and Bankruptcy Courts, U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court Clerks. U.S. Probation, U.S. Marshal Service, U.S. Attorney, U.S. Circuit Library, Senate and the General Services Administration. ‘Art in Architecture’ was utilized in this project. The security screen in the lobby was designed to represent seaweed. The pattern and colors in the terrazzo floors represent waves of the Gulf of Mexico. The ceilings of the courtrooms feature an Architectural representation of a ‘wave’ constructed of gypsum board to follow a coastal theme. The courtrooms have premium grade wood paneling with the Judges Bench, Court Reporter / Law Clerk Desk, Jury Box, and Witness Stand built of mahogany and pecan to match. The exterior skin of the building is pre-cast concrete designed to withstand blast loads stipulated by the General Services Administration. In the event of a blast, the pre-cast concrete is designed to absorb the energy and, even though it may fracture, remain intact to reduce flying debris.
Click on an image to see a larger version